Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Family's Calendar Changes


Happy New Year!!!
I hope that your new year is off to a good start. We had a fun New Year’s Eve, going out for dinner with my sister and brother-in-law, and then coming back home for drinks and a midnight toast. Not even twenty-four hours after that nice celebration, I came down with that lovely flu that many are lamenting. Blood shot eyes, wheezing, sneezing, etc… Yay! Woo Hoo! What a way to kick off 2015! (Rolls eyes) It wasn’t my first choice of how to spend this weekend, but since I’m a writer, there’s always something constructive I can do, right here at home. I decided to put my stay-at-home time to good use and write a blog post.
One of the gifts I receive for Christmas each year is a calendar. Depending on what’s going on with our life at the time, I’ve been gifted a variety of themes: kittens, vacation destinations, our hometown of Milwaukee, and my all-time favorite creature – penguins!
 
I gathered up our old calendar from last year so that I could accurately transfer birthdays and anniversaries to our new year. I also had a number of other ‘save the date’ types of notices that I accurately wrote into our 2015 life.
And then it hit me…
Do you have any idea how large this calendar project used to be? I remember when I’d sit down in early January with pages of activities to add to our life. Sports (practice nights and game times for two children), church commitments, band and choir concerts, marching band competitions and parades, college move-in dates… the list would go on and on.
Sometimes, just sitting in my home on that early January day, I’d see conflicts arise between activities, and feel that shot of adrenaline surge through me. Surely we’ll be able to work through this scheduling problem, right? RIGHT? Surely this wedding date can be changed to accommodate the state marching band competition, right? WRONG! Sometimes choices needed to be made. But there’s nothing like worrying about June in January – and yet I definitely did.
But it was fun too! Our home was so alive then – a boy, a girl, dogs and cats, school breaks, soccer, basketball, baton, confirmation classes, trumpets, flutes, marching, friends… And somehow everything got done. It all worked out. Despite the inevitable conflicts, everything worked out as it should, because here we are! We came out the other side.
Todd and I are still busy folk. We’re no longer in charge of coordinating all of those activities for our kids – obviously! They’re on their own now with all of that. But we do stay busy with our own lives - work, clubs and meetings, classes, and organizations.
As I sat at my dining room table today, I couldn’t help but think back to those crazy good old days of soccer practices and candy sales, our family attending both the Macy’s Parade in NYC and the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, California.
In some ways it’s been a crazy life – one I wouldn’t trade for anything.
But I do believe there was a time for some of that insanity, and overall, I’m okay with where we are now. And who even knows what lies ahead to fill up those calendar dates in our future??? It will be fun to see what the future holds.
Here’s to a great year in 2015!

Katie Kolberg Memmel is the author of “Five Fingers, Ten Toes – A Mother’s Story of Raising a Child Born with a Limb Difference.” For more information, visit her website at www.katiekolbergmemmel.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment