Monday, May 13, 2024

When Sleep Eludes...

 Hello, and welcome to May!

What with having my knee surgery in early April and all that followed, I can’t even believe we’re TWO FULL WEEKS into May already. Where does time go? Speaking of my knee, things have been going pretty well. I don’t see improvement every day, BUT I do see a lot of changes when I look back. I’ve been taking pictures of my knee ever since the bandage came off. I felt very encouraged today when I looked back at those early photos and saw a good amount of healing since then. For me, that’s a great big “YAY!”

Sooo… I suppose you’re wondering what I’m writing about today, huh? Well, recently, on the nights when I can’t sleep, some random thoughts have occurred to me. I figured I’d share them with you and see if anybody else can relate to what I’m experiencing.

First, let me start with a question. Do you remember back to when you were a child, and you could sleep a solid night through, from the time you went to bed until the time your mother (or your alarm clock) woke you in the morning? For the most part, that was my experience. Sure, there’d be an occasional bad dream or times when I’d have something important on my mind, but overall, I slept pretty well when I was young.

Well… suffice it to say that things have changed. I haven’t slept a solid night through in many (MANY) years. I’m lucky now if I only get up once a night and not multiples. Thankfully, I often go right back to sleep, but not always. I’ve grown to dread the nights when I get back in bed and then…

Man, I’m tired. I’m so glad I’m back in bed… but why am I cold? I wasn’t cold three minutes ago when I got out of bed. Why now? I sit up and gather all of my sheets and blankets around me, tuck my arms down inside and think, there, nice and warm. Now I’ll fall back to sleep.

One minute later…

Man, I’m hot. I sure don’t need all of these sheets and blankets wrapped around me. I toss the bulk of it off to the side, but not too far. These days, I might just need it all again soon.

There, now I’m much more comfortable. I’ll just close my eyes and drift back off. Not so fast. My eyes won’t close. They feel tired, almost heavy even, but open they are.  

As I lay in the dark, I realize that my right eyebrow feels itchy. With my eyes wide open, I work my right hand out from under my sheet, and allow it to maneuver its way to my face. I scratch the culprit. Once it seems satisfied, I tuck my hand back down into the cocoon from which it came. Aah, That’s better… My eyes close easily, and I lie still for a moment until…

Oh no! What’s… what’s… what’s this??? Aaaachooooo! I sneeze. Really? Who sneezes in their sleep. Oh yeah, I’m not sleeping, am I? Slowly, with my left hand this time, I reach for my tissue box, ensuring I don’t upsot my water cup. Once I blow my nose, I settle my left hand back under my sheets. All set. (Again.)

I begin to think. I know, I know… you’re probably thinking that thinking is a very bad idea. I should do absolutely anything else but think, yet… I think anyway. I ponder on past events I haven’t thought of in years, attempting to remember details I’ve overlooked or forgotten. Sometimes I think about current events such as why somebody did what they did, or said what they said. I even think about writing and what I should write next. Like this Blog post! This was dreamt up in the middle of a night.

In the midst of all my thinking, my neck begins to itch. Aww, come on! What’s next? My left hand makes its way up to the back of my neck. I scratch and scratch the area this time, hoping to overcompensate, just in case my neck gets any more bright ideas of itching again. I settle back in one more time.  

Hold on! I realize that I’ve lost track of what I was thinking about! What was it? I can’t remember, so I prop up on my right elbow and glance at the clock. It’s 3:15. Uh oh… that’s the time all the weird things happened in the book/movie “The Amityville Horror.” I never should have read or seen it, but… I was going through a phase. This new scary memory, unfortunately, gives me plenty of new material to think about.

Finally, I make a pact with myself.  No. More. Scratching. If something itches, it’ll have to wait until morning. No. More. Thinking. The most I’ll think about is counting backwards from 100 to zero. Although, to be honest, I’ll likely shoot up a quick prayer for a restful “rest-of-my-night”. That can’t hurt…

Before I know it, I’m awake again. The clock reads 6:30, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Since I can’t remember the last three hours, I conclude that I did, indeed, somehow fall asleep. Todd is up, retrieving socks from his dresser drawer. I say, “I don’t know why, but I couldn’t sleep last night.” Of course he comes back quickly with, “Well, you sure were sleeping just now!”  Okay, okay… He thinks he knows what I’ve been through, but he really has no clue, does he?

And so, here I am, sharing this late-night masterpiece with you all. Now that I’ve filled you in on some of my own sleep-deprived experiences, I’ll ask one more time – can anyone else relate?

My guess is a resounding YES!

Have great weeks, everybody!

Katie

Katie Kolberg Memmel is the author of three books: “Five Fingers, Ten Toes… a Mother’s Story of Raising a Child Born with a Limb Difference – 10-Year Anniversary Edition, now with Photos”; “From This Day Forward…”; and “Silly Stories and Sentimental Stuff.” For more information about Katie and her writing, please visit her website at: www.katiekolbergmemmel.com 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I can relate. Too many things on my mind. Thinking of family, dog, other things. Usually I can use my yoga breaths to get to sleep. sleep,isometimes sometimes not. Then I'm really tired the next day. Comes and goes - Usually

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it definitely comes and goes. For me, it's rarely many nights in a row. One night makes me very tired the next night, so I usually sleep ok again. Like you said, UNTIL lots of things are on my mind. I like your list: family, dog, other things. Pets really can be sleep robbers. Oh well... Here's to a good night's sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete