Thursday, June 4, 2015

To clean or not to clean...

Hello!
            I have a teensy tiny confession to make. This week, from out of the clear blue yonder, someone (a.k.a. my sister) “dropped in” on me. Now, you must try to understand… for Todd and me, and the way we “keep house,” dropping in is not our best or most favorable option. When my doorbell rings, I freeze, imagining every horrific scenario. It’s such a blasted conflict of interest too, because I really do enjoy visitors – and I really do enjoy my sister. I guess I just really really (really) need a heads-up – 24 hours is preferable, but even 30 minutes can get me a quick fix. 

Here’s the real deal, okay? (Take a deep breath here.) Todd and I are both a bit  (for lack of a better word, I’ll create one…) “Pack Ratty.” It’s true. It’s not like they’re going to film a reality TV show about us or anything (at least not yet…); but we really do have a lot of “stuff’” and our “stuff” may or may not be absolutely necessary to our day-to-day living. If you are unsure about your own state of “Pack-Ratty-ness,” allow me to provide you with a few examples, so that you can compare: 

When the kids lived here, we’d/I’d say things like, “Oh my gosh you guys, your rooms look terrible!” (The word “sty” may have even been used a time or two). Sometimes I’d make them a deal – usually at the beginning of summer vacation. “Tell you what – if you clean your rooms really well, I’ll buy you each one CD of your choice.” Each child, feeling encouraged by my offer, went to the kitchen cabinet and withdrew a big, black Hefty bag. They knew that along with the actual dusting and vacuuming associated with cleaning, also came the “let’s take a load of old clothes and toys to Goodwill.” The children would put on music and get down to work. 

I’d feel pretty good about myself. Here it was, mid-June, and I had the kids motivated to clean, plus they even “whistled while they worked.” I’d throw in a load of laundry, make a shopping list, and then meander down the hall to glance into their rooms, just to see how things were going. BIG mistake, BIG! 

I’d see a stack of items on my daughter’s bed and I’d point. “What are you doing with those?”
 
“That’s the start of my Goodwill pile,” she so innocently admitted.  

“What? You can’t get rid of this! (I’d hold up a sweater that was probably borderline too small on her.) I love this sweater on you! Remember the time you wore it with…?” And so on, and so forth, I’d give examples of how and why she couldn’t possibly get rid of whatever item was on the chopping block. Finally, she’d relent, and hang the sweater back in her closet. I hate to admit this, but these types of conversations took place until the day she got married and moved out. I do not believe that she is “Pack-Ratty” in her own home, like her dad and me. Time will certainly tell...  

It was surprising to me to find out that not all people act the way that we act. Who knew? Some people actually enjoy getting rid of clothing that doesn’t fit, and actually enjoy donating their kids’ old toys to people who’ll use them. For example, not everyone holds onto a high chair in their basement for twenty years because some day their five-year-old might have a child and bring that child over for dinner, and what will that child sit on then if we get rid of the high chair today?  Note: The high chair is now yellow and is heading to the dump this weekend because no child (grand or otherwise) would ever safely sit on it again. Did we learn our lesson? Hmmm…  

We’ve actually had some sane adult family members and friends who’ve offered to go into certain rooms in our home and dispose of items for us. Oh, the horror, oh, the trauma… “Absolutely not!” We exclaim. “We’ll be going into that room soon – very soon, and making the tough decisions for ourselves.” The sane ones nod as though they understand, but… I’m not really sure that they do. 

And just so that we’re clear – it’s not just me! Todd’s lower level, his section of the basement, is – well – let’s just say that it’s full. Every so often, on a rainy weekend, he’ll say, “I’m going into my workroom and I’m going to organize. If I’m not out in two hours, throw me a lifeline.” 

“Okay, Honey, you do that,” I say. I’m not sure of any real dent he’s ever made in the clutter, but I know that he loves to be in that room.  

On rainy days, many women like to clean. I do not. Rainy days are made for many things, but I’m afraid that cleaning is not one of them. Okay, obviously I’m kidding (a little bit anyway). The house isn’t that bad, but I do enjoy just about any other activity more than housework. 

One thing is true though – once you’ve been caught – once that doorbell rings and it’s not the FedEx man – once that porch person says, “Suuure, I’ve got an extra half hour and I’d love to come in for a Diet Pepsi” – you’re totally busted, my friend. It makes you stop and re-evaluate your time management skills. It makes you want to drag out the broom, the mop and the 409, the vacuum and the webster/duster thing, and get down to business. 

But it’s a funny thing – just as soon as she left that day, my phone rang. It was my daughter. The sweet sound of her far-away voice said, “Hi Mama Llama, how are you today?” and all thoughts of grime removal washed permanently from my brain.” 

“Hi Hon, I’m good – how are you? How’s the baby?” … And an hour later, scouring the bathroom was the furthest subject from my mind. 

I’ve never had a particularly immaculately clean home – that is true. But I do like to think that I’ve always taken time out for the people and activities that matter the most to me: My husband, my kids, pets, church activities, writing, reading books (or anything else), going to movies, watching TV, meeting friends for coffee, talking on the phone, going for walks… ;)  I think you catch my drift…  

Have a wonderful day! 

Katie Kolberg Memmel is the author of “Five Fingers, Ten Toes – a Mother’s Story of Raising a Child Born with a Limb Difference. For more information, visit her website at www.katiekolbergmemmel.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment