Friday, August 21, 2015

"That'll be Forty dollars, please..."


Is it just me, or do other people have trouble escaping from grocery stores before they spend Forty dollars? I don’t know what it is about that number, “Forty dollars,” but it seems to be the result of my own poor planning and my own over-shopping. Whenever I enter a store, “Forty dollars” seems to be the magic amount I spend. Has something like this ever happened to you??? 

I attended my writing class this week, and instead of worrying about that night’s dinner, I already had a plan. I felt organized, downright good about having all the ingredients at home. Then, suddenly, I remembered that we didn’t have much bread in the house. I wanted Todd to be able to make toast for breakfast the next day, so I knew I’d have to stop somewhere. At first I thought I’d just swing in to a gas station mart, grab the bread and go; but on second thought, maybe not… I thought of something else I needed. 

Milk! I only had an inch left in the bottom of the gallon. If I wanted to spend the next morning writing, and not have to run to the store, I’d better grab the milk while I was out. I still figured I’d stop at the gas station, but then reconsidered when I thought about how much Todd’s been enjoying half-gallons of chocolate milk. Maybe instead of a whole gallon of white, I’d split my order into a half-gallon of each. 

So, I’d get bread, a half-gallon of white, and a half-gallon of chocolate, I’d be in and out in no ti.… 

Wait! We were having chicken tacos for dinner. Wouldn’t some frozen lemonade be delicious with those? I didn’t think they sold that at the gas station so for sure I’d need to stop at the actual grocery store. I wasn’t super thrilled with that idea though because I was wearing my black flip flops on my feet, and since they’re not all that comfortable, I hadn’t pre- planned to plod around the grocery store. The gas station was one thing, but now the whole ‘stop for a quick item’ plan was completely blown. As long as I was going to the grocery store, then…

Well, then I may as well pick up the food I’d need for the next night’s dinner too, as long as I’d be heading all the way to the back of the store for the milk! As I stood there choosing my two cartons of dairy, I glanced over and saw that the store DID stock the iced tea we love. I couldn’t find it in the aisle by the soda the other day, because I now saw that it’s refrigerated – and on SALE, nonetheless! Two for four dollars – SOLD! Then the thought process began. Hmmm… maybe I’ll make some burgers this week. That sounds delish. Ooooo, but wait, if I got the burgers, I’d need the buns, and I didn’t think that buns from the bakery would stay fresh for a day and a half. I carefully selected some pretzel rolls, which I’ve recently heard are fabulous with burgers, and they don’t get quite as stale as the regular hard rolls. Super! But maybe I’ll just get one extra roll, just in case I want something for lunch tomorrow, since I’m not planning to leave the house – so that I can write all day, remember? (Yeah, right…)  

I chose a loaf of bread, which was the item that started this whole fiasco to begin with, and proceeded through the produce section. Oh man… fruit! All we have is a splash of orange juice, and a scant handful of grapes in the refrigerator. There’s nowhere near enough to get us through the whole next day AND the following morning. I saw that green grapes were on sale and “looking fine,” so I grabbed a few bunches. I also chose a few nectarines that were too hard to eat right away, but would probably be perfect in about two days. (See? I was planning ahead because I’m Just. That. Organized!)  

I reached the cashier, only to realize that I didn’t actually buy the ground beef for the next night’s burger feast. I sighed, turned around, and flip flopped back up the aisle toward the meat. Dang, as long as I had to come all the way to the back of the store again, I might as well buy some shredded cheese and a small tub of sour cream for our taco dinner – just in case the quantities at home were lower than anticipated. I threw both into my cart.  

Then I remembered the cat. Shoot! The cat food is low, and believe me when I say that for our two felines, you do not ever (repeat EVER) want to run out of food. I was suddenly very glad to be at the grocery store, and not at the gas station. The small cart I’d chosen at the beginning of my short excursion, was brimming with items.  

Okay, so long story long, I may have exaggerated when I said I spent “Forty dollars.” It was really only $39.75, but I think you can see just how close I came to the predicted, dreaded amount. 

As I left the parking lot, I felt good – totally prepared for the next few days – totally prepared to stay home and wri… 

And then it hit me… Aww man, are you kidding me?!? I forgot the Ketchup! How in the world can you prepare a burger feast without Ketchup!?! So when I got home, I put Ketchup on my list, along with several other items I’d just forgotten at the store. I figured that tomorrow I could just swing in to the gas station mart and pick up a quick…   

But then again, maybe not.

 

 

 

Katie Kolberg Memmel is the author of “Five Fingers, Ten Toes – A Mother’s Story of Raising a Child Born with a Limb Difference.” For more information, visit her website at www.katiekolbergmemmel.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment