Thursday, April 18, 2013

We Just Never Know...

From the high to the low to the end of the show for the rest of their lives…” Billy Joel
            Isn’t it funny (and by funny I mean strange) how quickly our lives can change? A day, an hour, minutes, even seconds, can change everything – sometimes for the very worst, sometimes for the ultimate best.
            Take last Monday for example (April 15, 2013)…
            That morning I was reeling with the unexpected news that my son, Tony Memmel, had just been awarded the honor of “Singer/Songwriter of the Year” by the Wisconsin Area Music Industry (WAMI). At an event the night before, they announced his name, and in the blink of an eye, I saw years of his hard work, dedication, and love of music all come together for him. I actually cried tears of happiness for him as I felt a gamut of emotions: satisfied, excited, (maybe even) thrilled, and certainly ready to celebrate!
I use the internet for work, and also enjoy social networking, spending a great deal of my time on Facebook. That morning was no different. As always, people bantered - wishing their friends “Happy Birthday,” news stations forecasted weather and reported on local happenings, friends posted silly cartoons about cleaning and wine drinking, and some wrangled on about religion and politics… just another day in the life.
Later, when I returned home from errand running, I flipped on my television and couldn’t believe what I was seeing or hearing. “Breaking News! Two explosions occurred near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. A holiday in Boston – Patriot’s Day – a day when people celebrate our country’s freedoms; a day that runners who’ve trained hard and dedicated their time and energy to their sport, come together – some to compete, some to celebrate life.” Over and over they showed us the footage; over and over I witnessed the mayhem that unfolded. I felt glued to that spot, not wanting to go, but knowing I should. I must… leave… the TV… I must… leave… the TV… It’s hard to do though when you want to stay up-to-date and know what’s going on.
I texted my husband. “It doesn’t look good,” he said. Later he told me that a man he works with had just finished the race about ten minutes before the explosion. The guy was okay.
I texted my daughter at her job, in Connecticut. “Are you okay? They’re saying the east coast is under a watch.”  She wrote back, “We’re fine. But how can someone be so evil?” Indeed, the question we’ve been asking ourselves quite often these days…
I spoke with Tony on the phone. As a touring musician, he’s travelled a great deal, and counts Boston as one of his and Lesleigh’s very favorite cities in the country. The kids have musical ties there, friends there, many people and places they care about. He was feeling this devastation - hard.
It was interesting to see the changes on Facebook too. An immediate somberness settled over the site. Just about everyone I know posted something along the lines of, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Boston tonight…” Candles, flowers, poems, you name it.
Life changes fast, no doubt about it. It swings from light-hearted banter, to poems and prayers. I think that we all need to learn that when something good and wonderful happens, we should truly celebrate that good – and celebrate swiftly! Enjoy every minute… I think that when something bad or tragic transpires, we need to mourn and grieve, take the time to feel that sadness as deeply as necessary.
Somehow through it all, though, we need to find a balance, because as sure as I am writing this, we will continue to experience “the highs and the lows to the end of the show for the rest of our lives…” (See Billy Joel’s quote above)
It’s not going to ever stop.
And the truth is, we just never know…

No comments:

Post a Comment