Thursday, April 25, 2013

Living Real Life - Through the Movies...?


“You don’t want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie!”
Rosie O’Donnell’s character in “Sleepless in Seattle”
            Sometimes I think it would be fun to live life in a movie…
            When it comes to movies, I really enjoy romantic comedies. The more romantic and comedic, the more I like it. Just to share a glimpse of what I’m talking about, some of my favorites include (but are not limited to): “When Harry Met Sally,” “You’ve Got Mail,” “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” and “Sleepless in Seattle.”  Each of these films holds the ability to bring both a laugh to my lips and a tear to my eye – two qualities I find absolutely imperative to my personal movie enjoyment.
            Since I enjoy this genre so much, it is often tempting to compare my own life to that of the movie’s characters. Believe me when I say that’s a “BIG mistake, HUGE! Mistake…” (Pretty Woman) Comparing our OWN careers, homes, kids, friends, or loves to those from romantic comedies…?  “I don’t think so…” (Home Alone) (Okay, not a romantic comedy, but how could I resist?) Whenever we contrast our own situations to those of Hollywood fiction, I believe we set ourselves up for certain failure. Real life tends to come up a bit short – and yet I DO compare...
            In the movies, doesn’t it seem that regardless of the depth of the turmoil, if “someone” intervenes on another character’s behalf, then all can be made well with the world? For example, if someone’s boss is miserable and unreasonable, another character points out to said boss the error of his/her ways. That boss then miraculously experiences an AHA! moment, suddenly aware of and understanding of all of his/her reprehensible behavior up to that point in life, and changes comPLETEly (usually in the last 5-10 minutes of the film). Careers are changed for the best, raises are awarded, and everyone lives happily ever after. (sigh)
Or here’s another one… If one person is in love with someone, and the other person doesn’t KNOW it, then “another person” steps in and explains the entire scenario to the 2nd person. THEN suddenly EVERYthing is clear and person #2 realizes that they are also madly in love, and wonders WHY he or she ever wasted so much time without person #1. ALL is resolved (usually in the last 5-10 minutes of the film) and the two fall deeply in love, get married and live happily ever after (at least until the sequel comes out, the couple has a baby, and the new plotline challenges the first movie’s neatly wrapped-up ending).
Yes, I’m semi poking fun, but I think that what I love most about these made-up movie stories is that somehow situations always resolve. I like that concept - I WANT things to resolve – I CRAVE resolution. But in REAL life, it’s usually messier – missing a few minor details. For example, wouldn’t it be nice to have “someone” intervene on our behalf sometimes? Wouldn’t it be neat if our work acquaintances stepped up and stuck their necks out and said, “You’ve got this wrong – Joe’s a great guy who works hard and deserves a promotion – in fact, give him mine!”  OR “Joanne, you’ve got it wrong! Joe’s always loved you – it’s always been you and only you!”
But in real life (unlike life in a movie) I find there’s a general feeling of I better not get involved – it’s none of my business.  I ask you - where would a good romantic comedy be if that sort of attitude prevailed?  (Dead at the box office, THAT’s where!)
I guess what I’m trying to say is that sometimes other people DO see our lives more clearly than we see them  ourselves. Sometimes it WOULD help a guy or gal to have a concerned friend or loved one intervene on their behalf. Even with that sort of help, I’m smart enough to know that not every person approached (a boss or a Person #2) would see the error of his or her nasty ways; but wouldn’t it feel good sometimes to not feel like we’re just hanging out there all by ourselves?  Maybe these movies fill a hole, a deep-down wish – bring a feeling of hope…?
And so, Rosie O’Donnell’s quote from “Sleepless in Seattle,” strikes a true chord with me. I don’t want to just live life - I guess I want to live life in a movie.
           Sure, it’s a fantasy, but honestly, wouldn’t it be nice?  (And even a little bit fun...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment