Friday, August 30, 2013

These are the Best of Days!


A couple of months ago, Todd and I received a wedding invitation for this weekend. A dear friend of mine from high school, a guy who I’ve always valued as a great confidante and pal, is going to be walking his lovely first-born child down the aisle. The closer the day gets, the more I’m thinking about their family, and the awesomeness they'll all experience. The closer the day gets, the more I’m also reminiscing about our own family’s wedding experiences as well.  
Todd and I have been through these most precious of wedding weekends twice. Each was totally different from the standpoint that we had one son and one daughter – parental responsibilities totally different for each of our children.
In January of 2009, our son, Tony, married the love of his life, Lesleigh. As soon as they announced their engagement, early plans began forming. Guest lists were assembled, logistics of January-in-Wisconsin (possible snowstorms) guest travel discussed, scouting of a hall suitable to hold the desired amount of guests, things like that.  As the parents of the groom, we had a rehearsal dinner to plan, along with some other commitments that we divided with Lesleigh’s family. I bought an outfit for the big day, Lesleigh announced that she and her mom found “the perfect bridal gown,” and the wedding party, including our daughter and her fiancé, was formed.
During the planning, was there any arguing or wrangling? In a simple word, Yes. Parents, who have been to, and participated in, many-a-wedding, tend to have oodles of advice to dispense. I will admit that much. Not all of the advice is welcomed and embraced. So what’s new? That’s the interaction between kids, parents, and families sometimes. When all was said and done, the plans played out beautifully. (sigh)
The rehearsal dinner that we planned came off without a hitch. We decided on a restaurant, but wanted our own separate room, so that toasts could be easily made and heard. I’ll be real honest – sometimes in my own marriage I’ve wondered what Todd is thinking; but at that rehearsal dinner, in front of 40 or 50 guests, quiet Todd stood up and made the most beautiful speech about marriage, both our own, and the one that Tony and Les would be committing to. That event was one of the very best moments of my life.
The next day, our son stood at the front of the church where he’d been baptized and confirmed, next to the same pastor who baptized and confirmed him. (Rare? Yes. Special? Wow!) Each bridal couple walked down the aisle together, as Tony’s guitar-playing friend played the most beautiful instrumental piece. Finally, Lesleigh appeared in the doorway with her dad. With tears in his eyes, Tony motioned for her to hurry up and get there, he could wait no longer. This made everyone both laugh and cry harder.
January 3, 2009 was truly one of the best days of my life – a day of true joy.
 
And then in December of the same year, just eleven months later, Megan and Joe said “I do.” I shopped with Megan, helping her find the perfect dress. She looked great in just about everything she tried on. But there was this one dress – a little pricier than the rest, yes. But it was Just. So. Beautiful. “Just give this one a try,” I urged.  And Wow! That was it. Just seeing my baby girl standing there in that beautiful white gown brought out the tears. We bought it.
During the wedding preparations, was there any arguing or wrangling? Ummm, yes, a little… after all, we are talking about a mother and a daughter here. Sometimes wires cross and tempers flare. I’ll admit to that much. But again, when all was said and done, the day played out beautifully. (sigh) (again)
Because the wedding was the week before Christmas, we used the poinsettias in the church to our favor. Todd strung extra white twinkle lights through garland, and arranged the flowers along the church altar. People exclaimed, “Wow! That’s how I want my own wedding to look!” We’ll add wedding decorations to Todd’s long list of talents – not really kidding… ;)
Both my daughter and I can tend to be a bit emotional – tears flow pretty easily. But on her wedding day, Megan absolutely beamed. She had a smile on her face from ear to ear. Watching my husband, her daddy, walk her down the aisle of the church and pass her hand to Joe’s, is unlike any experience I can describe. It was highly emotional, that’s for sure. That’s our precious daughter. That’s our little girl. A look passed between Todd and Joe – something like Take care of her – promise me! (Maybe I should add a few more exclamation marks there) TAKE CARE OF HER – PROMISE ME!!!!! Somehow, marrying your daughter is very serious business. J
After the ceremony, in true Megan and Joe fashion, they walked to the back of the church where Joe proceeded to wrap his arms around her and lift her up off her feet – the two looked so happy. Along with Joe’s parents and family, now joining our own, we all ate, danced, drank a glass of beer or wine (or two)… Todd got up and made another amazing toast – this time as “Father of the Bride.” I thought my heart would leap from my chest. He may not say much, but I’ll tell you what – when he wants to, he certainly can say what’s on his mind – beautifully too! Every guest in the room was there to celebrate the joining of our daughter and her new husband. Do days get any better than this? I doubt it.
December 19, 2009, was truly one of the best days of my life – a day of true joy.
So as Todd and I attend our friend’s daughter’s wedding, we reflect back on how it felt for us to celebrate two such joyful weddings of our own. As he walks his little girl down the aisle, we’ll watch if that silent vow is made between him and her new husband, we’ll listen as he toasts the new couple, saying what’s on his heart, and know the joy he’s feeling.
And so… Dear old friend, today I’m thinking of your whole family as you enter this amazing wedding weekend. May it be beautiful and joy-filled!
For what life has to offer, believe me when I say, “These are the best of days!”
God’s Blessings!

Katie Kolberg Memmel is the author of "Five Fingers, Ten Toes - A Mother's Story of Raising a Child Born with a Limb Difference." For more information, visit her website at www.katiekolbergmemmel.com 

2 comments: