Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Lenten Devotion on Forgiveness


The Institution of the Lord’s Supper

1 Corinthians 11: 23-26  For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. (NRSV)

            “Why back in my day, we had to wait till we were conFIRMED to take communion…!” It’s true. When I was a young teenage Lutheran, my church friends and I attended (I think very) intense classes to learn all about the Lutheran Church’s beliefs and practices. We read books on Martin Luther and studied his Catechism. Memorization was KEY! We recited Bible verses, hymns, whatever our Pastor deemed important. Two nights a week and sometimes Saturday mornings (if our learning was lagging) our class sat together huddled in the church basement. Confirmation Day felt like a re-birth, a new beginning. After a stressful Examination of our class’s vast knowledge (at the 8:00 service) we could finally say we were “Confirmed,” and begin taking communion during the 10:30. I’d made it! Standing there, and finally kneeling there, red carnation pinned to my white flowing robe, the ensemble accented by my brand new platform shoes (it was 1975 after all) I felt I’d made it. At age 13, I’d never felt closer to God.
            But life has a way of moving in on us, doesn’t it? Teen years, dating, peer pressure, heading off to college (or for me, working that first ‘real’ job) - we’re all faced with challenges and issues that were only eluded to back in that church basement’s classes. I found out that people can act in crazy ways sometimes - and (if I’m being honest) so can I. We overdo some things, we under do others, and before we know it we’re married (or wishing we were), we’re parents (or wishing we were(n’t), we’re workaholics, alcoholics – well, we find there are addictions of every variety. Our lives swing out of balance and we grasp to gain back control (whatever THAT means). And as we’re grasping, many of life’s dearest treasures get in our way.
            Back in 1975, when our Pastor described the Lord’s Supper and the ‘forgiveness’ Christ offers us through his body and blood, I thought about it in much smaller terms. When a boy called me a name as I walked to the bus stop, I should forgive that act before I took communion. OK, I felt I could do that. But what about now that life’s issues loom larger? Can I forgive people now? What about the deep hurts that are caused by our families – our parents, spouses, children, brothers and sisters? What about our work acquaintances – our superiors, peers, and those who answer to us? What about our friendships? Do we forgive people when they hurt us, or is it easier or better to throw out our relationships at the first signs of trouble? Or sometimes, do we hang on too tightly to things we shouldn’t? Life can get pretty messy. We don’t always have our own answers.
But God knows all of that. He created each of us to be who he wants us to be. He knows our ins and our outs, our strengths and our flaws, our gifts and talents (as well as our foibles and shame). He also created a way through all of it by sending His son, Jesus, into this dark earthly world to take care of everything. Have you ever considered, really stopped to think, what it is that happens on Easter? God sent his Son to DIE for our sins. He hung on a cross for me - Kate! Insert your own name here too – it’s very powerful to think of this in personal terms! When you consider what He’s done and provided for us, it’s truly a miracle – a gift of pure love.
And so, through the earthly elements of the bread and wine, through Christ’s body and his blood, he provides to each of us forgiveness. All of the bad things we’ve done, left undone, said, not said – He forgives us. It’s free for us to take in and believe. He did all the work. Each time we eat and drink at His table, we are to remember that fact – and remember him. We should then go out and live as lights to this world, turn from our sins and bad behaviors, confident that we are forgiven, and ready to forgive others.
During Confirmation instruction all those years ago, our pastor taught us the petitions to the Lord’s Prayer, “…and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us…” Pastor warned us that sentence would be tricky… and boy, was he right.
But through communion, God forgives us, we forgive others, and hopefully, we even learn to someday, forgive ourselves…

4 comments:

  1. You are right about forgiveness and forgiving Katie. Forgiving is as freeing for us as God's forgiveness is freeing to us. Well written blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous - thanks for writing. Forgiveness is indeed freeing. Isn't God good...?

      Delete
  2. YES!! God is good... sooooooo good... all the time!

    (don't know who the other anonymous is, but this one is me... Kailani. Naalehu HI)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you! I thought the two anon's were the same person. Thanks for saying hi, and for reading the blog. Sounds like our beliefs match :) Take care...

      Delete