Saturday, March 9, 2013

Choices, choices...


After dinner last night, we were just hanging out, watching a little Friday night programming, when I saw a television commercial that posed an excellent question - a question that Todd and I have been struggling with here at our house for probably the better part of a year. The mind-plaguing question was simply this: DiGiorno, or Delivery?
Hmmmm, let’s see here – on the one hand, frozen pizza from a box… on the other hand, delivery?  Excellent question. Let’s analyze the possibilities for a moment…
This silly question hit home harder than you’d think because here’s the truth… For quite some time now, Todd and I have been desperately attempting to dub Sunday night as our Pizza Night. At the end of the weekend, all we want to do is make a simple salad, throw a pizza in our oven, and tune in to some Sunday night TV.
We’ve run the gamut of other Sunday night scenarios – making a big dinner (turkey, chicken, ribs) but then that sort of meal produces mega-amounts of dishes  - who wants all that work on a Sunday night? We tried Taco Bell & Golden Chicken runs – an alternative I do enjoy because it takes no kitchen effort on my part, whatsoever – but SOMEONE (we did take turns) had to leave the house (winter is challenging) and go get the food, usually making that person late for the kick-off of whatever show we wanted to watch. No fun… (sigh)
So ultimately, we thought we came up with a perfect solution – making something simple (like pizza) at home. But it’s hard – harder than you’d think! Every single week, while I’m stocking up on groceries in preparation for the weekend, I wheel my grocery cart into the freezer aisle, and stand in front of the frozen pizzas section. I’m almost beginning to dread it. You try finding a frozen pizza that measures up to the picture it bears and brags about on its box cover.
After some serious investigation of trial and error, against all odds, we finally found one brand that we loved. The crust was “just right,” the sauce wasn’t super spicy, the sausage seemed believable/authentic (unlike some brands’ artificial-seeming meat). But as soon as we became hooked, the grocery store discontinued it. I got up the guts to ask them, “Why?” but the answer was simple… “We just don’t sell enough to justify stocking them.” Really? What brand exactly are people finding so worthy? Frustrating...
And so last night, when posed with the commercial’s question: DiGiorno or Delivery? Well, it prompted me to write this blog! I’m still weighing the possibilities. I’m not gonna lie - delivery is a pretty tempting alternative. If only a delivered pizza didn’t taste like a box, if only it was super hot, if only the toppings came as accurately as we ordered them… (if only, if only…) And if only a frozen pizza wasn’t so temperamental, where two minutes one way or another wasn’t a deal breaker, the sausage was real and lived up to its cover photo… (if only, if only…)  
So I’ll tell you what I did this week - I actually BOUGHT a DiGiorno. I guess that we’ll give it a try. We’ll take a leap of pizza faith and step out. Time will tell. If it doesn’t live up to the frozen hype, next week there’s always Domino’s…

Side note: This is just meant to be silly. I’m truly grateful for all food and even pizza choices…

No comments:

Post a Comment